Not every thought has to be fully formed, so this is where I capture the fun, frivolous, or spur-of-the-moment musings.
- I never saw myself as a storyteller. I saw myself as a listener, a reader, a lover of stories, not a teller of them.
- We often seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding that Scripture - Jesus and Paul and the prophets - are guiding us toward a particular destination, an afterlife. But the more I read and study Scripture, the more I think that's wrong.
- The biblical story of the creation of the world is not one of defining binaries, but of recognizing the beauty inherent in each of us.
- There's one really great thing about this writers strike.
- God's holiness and justness are products of God's love. They don't exist as independent characteristics, creating conflicts in God's character. Holiness and justice are outflows of God's nature, which is love.
- A Good Friday meditation on why Jesus suffered the cross.
- I exist at the intersection of three groups that are really bad at expressing their feelings. I’ve spent a lot of time in therapy working through this problem, and I want to share what that intersection has looked like in my life.
- Words, if you look at them, are a binary of black and white, ink on a page. But when we listen to them, when we see them for what they mean, they shine.
- Continually I find myself unable to capture the details in my imagination as words on a page. It's an awful cycle. I love it.
- I was fortunate to have three grandpas in my life. It’s strange having all three of them gone. An entire generation of men in my lineage has passed. I feel the weight of it, as if a mantle has been passed to my father, and the mantle he wore has been passed to me.
- Despite what Paul says, I don’t think God desires us to be slaves of God.
- When I asked ChatGPT to write a sonnet about socks, it did! And a surprisingly coherent one, too. But then I wanted to see if I could take what it created and turn it into something new.
- Yesterday I said I was starting something new: a “web log” or “blog” for short. That was a joke, because blogs have been around for a long time now. What I actually mean is that I’m going back to something old.
- So here I am. It’s the second day of January. I’m starting something new. I’m calling it a “web log” or “blog” for short. (It's okay to laugh, that was a joke.)