A Little About Me
It’s really easy for me to love beauty, because it’s found in everyone and everything. Despite all the beauty in the world, I never tire of finding it. Every raindrop is as joyful as the one before.
Culture / Person
- Five Iron Frenzy (I blame/credit them for starting my journey toward Christian anarchy)
- Shannon E. Greene (the single most influential person in my entire life)
- Elyse Myers (how can anyone not be influenced by how authentic and positive she is???)
- John Oliver (offers biting commentary, but done in a way that feels both obvious and hilarious)
- James Cone (taught me Jesus was a Black man)
- Rachel Held Evans (revealed the beauty that can remain inside a group of broken people)
- Pete Enns (one of the most significant voices for me as I re-learned how to read the Bible)
- Michael J. Gorman (deeply formative in how I see my life as an alternative to cultural norms)
- Diana Butler Bass (the model of a prophetic storyteller)
- Wil Gafney (embodies faithful perseverance through intense challenges)
- Brian McLaren (showed me it was possible to be both progressive and faithful to Scripture)
- Amy-Jill Levine (forever changed how I read and interpret Jesus’ parables)
- Obery M. Hendricks Jr. (transformed the way I view non-violence and Christian political activism)
- Stephen King (inarguably the greatest storyteller alive today)
- Amanda Gorman (I swear the ground shook as I listened to her at the Presidential Inauguration)
- J.R.R. Tolkien (isn’t everyone influenced by him?)
- Franz Kafka (can I be him when I grow up, please?)
- Danny Boyle (especially his earlier films)
Whispers of a Stronger Faith
In Whispers of a Stronger Faith: Stories of Faith and Discovery, I used fiction and poetry to chronicle my spiritual growth as I wrestled out of the fundamentalist faith in which I was raised. This short Kindle book was released in October 2016, and you can pick up a copy for just $0.99 as a Kindle book or for $5.99 in paperback.
Social Media Ecclesiology
This was the thesis I wrote as a completion of my coursework at Central Baptist Theological Seminary. In it, I examined the Apostle Paul’s letters to the church in Corinth and considered how those letters could serve as a foundation to develop a model for church online using social media channels.
Want to read it? Reach out to me through one of my social channels and I’d be happy to send you a free PDF.